POEM: "From the Red-Headed Stepchild"

 


From the Red-Headed Stepchild

Jennifer Lee Lawson, MA


I had my own dad.

You probably think I didn't/

since you're here.

He was much better than you.

Not a Swabbie. Or a Coastie.

A Sergeant. Special Forces. Army.


My dad hugged me before I was 30,

unlike you to your bio-children.


I had my own grandma.

I guess you think I didn't/

since you're here.

She was much better than you.

Not a wannabe German Neo-Nazi.

A Swede. Aryan. Better than Hitler.


My grandma sent me me real Christmas fudge,

unlike you to your bio-grandchildren.


I have my own Aunt.

You probably think I don't/

since you're here.

She is much better than you.

Not a wannabe redneck in a dilapidated house. 

A real farmer. A real country woman. In Iowa, where caucuses start.


My aunt put on 100-people shindigs,

unlike you an your bio-nieces and nephews.





Comments